GET THE APP

Prevalence of Lower and Upper Canines Mal Occlusion among Dental Colleges Students | Abstract

Journal of Research in Medical and Dental Science
eISSN No. 2347-2367 pISSN No. 2347-2545

All submissions of the EM system will be redirected to Online Manuscript Submission System. Authors are requested to submit articles directly to Online Manuscript Submission System of respective journal.

Prevalence of Lower and Upper Canines Mal Occlusion among Dental Colleges Students

Author(s): Emad Hammody Abdulla*

Abstract

Background: Canine impaction is known to be one of the most common abnormalities in the teeth. The aim of this study was to evaluate the prevalence of mal occlusion canines and canine teeth, among Iraqi dental students in Baghdad.

Methods: This study included 260 students (161 (61.9%), female and 99 participants (38.07%) male) between the ages of 18 and 24, faculty of dentistry at Ibn Sina University of Medical and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Iraq, Baghdad from February 2021 to June 2022. The tooth was considered affected when it was not aligned with the rest of the teeth in any of the tooth braces. Data on age, sex, the number, position, localization (right/left) of teeth, number of affected teeth, arch in question and tooth name were obtained the clinical of patients.

Results: The results of the cases showed a total (11) of impacted mandibular canine teeth were found, with prevalence (4.2%) of impaction. The results of the cases showed a total (6) of impacted maxillary canine teeth were found, with prevalence (2.3%) of impaction. The total of (17) cases malocclusion in the sample with prevalence (6.5%).

Conclusions: Early detection of impacted teeth is critical to successful treatment and thus demographic studies are important. Although larger samples are needed, this study provides a basis as to the frequency and type of canines affected in this particular group.

Share this article