Research Article - (2022) Volume 10, Issue 8
The Gas Chromatography Analysis of One Unani Drug, "Khustha Hajrul Yahood"
Hassan mohammad M1, Janaki CS2, Rao MRK3*, Prabhu K4, Deepa K5, Franklin6 and Vijayalakshmi N7
*Correspondence: Rao MRK, Department of Anatomy, Amritha University, Thiruporur, Tamil Nadu, India, Email:
AbstractThis work deals with gas chromatography mass spectrometric analysis of one Unani medicine, Khustha Hajrul Yahood, which is prescribed for urinary tract related ailments like urolithiasis, urinary tract infections, gonorrhoea etc. The medicine was bought from a Unani medicine shop and was processed suitably for gas chromatophraphy mass spectroscopic analysis. The results indicated the presence of many molecules such as Decane, 1-iodo-, Acetic acid, chloro-, decyl ester, 2-Isopropyl-5-methyl-1-heptanol, Sulfurous acid, butyl undecyl ester, Cyclohexane, 1-ethyl-1,3-dimethyl-, trans-, alpha-Santalol, Dodecanedioic acid, Methyl 2-hydroxy-octadeca-9,12,15-trienoate, Phthalic acid, hexadecyl hex-3-yl ester etc. which have far reaching medicinal roles, which could contribute to the medicinal role of Khushta Hazrul Yahood in treating urinary tract related ailments.
KeywordsGC MS, Khustha Hazrul Yahood, Urolithiasis, Gonorrhea, Alpha-Santalol, Sulfurous acid, Butyl undecyl ester
Khushta Hajrul Yahood is a Unani medicine that is primarily used for the treatment of kidney diseases. It is also prescribed for urinary tract infections, gonorrhoea, gall stones etc. The ingredients are:
- Hajrul–Yahood (Lapis judaicus)
- Shora Qalmi (Potassium nitrate)
- Aabe Mooli (Raphanus sativus)
Hajrul yahud (Lapis judaicus) is an also known as Jew's stone, which is a fossilised sea urchin spines. This medicine is used as a topical drug for pain, to improve urinary output and for prevent and treat kidney stones. Makbul et al. have reviewed the role of Hajrul yahud as a medicine for the management of urolithiasis .
Potassium nitrateis a used as medicine for small wounds and warts. Raphanus sativus is common edible plant which has many medicinal roles . Torres et al. have elaborated the role of Raphanus sativus with reference to gall stones and control of cholesterol . There are scanty reports on the role of Khushta Hajrul Yahood. It is imperative to establish the authenticity of alternative medicines such as Ayurveda, Sidhha and Unani systems as they are time tested and in use for centuries. The present workers have worked to scientifically evaluate the veracity of these medicine systems by latest techniques so that deeper knowledge of the mechanism of action of these medicines could be gained [4-22]. The present study in one step further in this endeavour.
Materials and Methods
Khushta Hajrul Yahood was bought from a Unani medicine vendor in Chennai. The medicine was suitably processed by standard procedures and the GC-MS analysis was performed.
Khushta Hajrul Yahood GC MS profile and possible medicinal role of each molecule is tabulated in Table 1.
|Ret. Time||Molecule||Mol. Formula||Mol. Mass||% Peak Area||Possible Medicinal Role|
|3.69||Decane, 1-iodo-||C10H21I||268.1||1.25||Idothyronine-deiodinase inhibitor|
|4.48||Acetic acid, chloro-, decyl ester||C12H23ClO2||234.1||7.17||increases aromatic amino acid decarboxylase activity, Inhibits uric acid production|
|4.55||Cyclopentane, 1-butyl-2-propyl-||C12H24||168.2||5.13||Not known|
|5.25||Dodecane, 1-fluoro-||C12H25F||188.2||18.30||Not known|
|5.69||Sulfurous acid, butyl undecyl ester||C15H32O3S||292.2||1.22||Arachidonic acid inhibitor, increases aromatic amino acid decarboxylase activity, inhibits uric acid acid production|
|7.92||Cyclohexane, 1-ethyl-1,3-dimethyl-, trans-||C10H20||140.2||1.73||Glutathione-S-Tansferase inhibitor, increases glutathinone –S-transferase (GST) activity, decreases oxaloacetate transaminase activity, Catechol-O-Methyl-Transferase-Inhibitor, Decrease Glutamate Oxaloacetate Transaminase, Decrease Glutamate PuruvateTransaminase, Glucosyl-Transferase inhibitor, increases glyoxalate transamination, reverse transcriptase inhibitor|
|8.88||.alpha.-Santalol||C15H24O||220.2||1.19||5 alpha reductase inhibitor, HIF 1 alpha inhibitor, Ikappa B alpha phosphorylation inhibitor, increases alpha mannosidae activity, Interleukine 1 alpha inhibitor, TNF alpha inhibitor|
|14.30||Dodecanedioic acid||C12H22O4||230.2||2.67||Arachidonic acid inhibitor, increases aromatic amino acid decarboxylase activity, inhibits uric acid production|
|16.82||9-Octadecenoic acid, (E)-||C18H34O2||282.3||15.86||Not known|
|17.07||Methyl 2-hydroxy-octadeca-9,12,15-trienoate||C19H32O3||308.2||10.88||17 beta hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase inhibitor, Aryl hydrocarbon hydroxylase inhibitor, testosterone hydroxylase inducer, Catechol-O-Methyl Transferase-Inhibitor|
|18.22||Phthalic acid, hexadecyl hex-3-yl ester||C30H50O4||474.4||1.33||Asrachidonic acid inhibitor, increase aromatic amino acid decarboxylase activity, inhibits uric acid production Hexokinase stimulator|
Table 1: Indicates the retentions values, types of possible compound, their molecular formulae, molecular mass, peak area and their medicinal roles of each compound as shown in the GC MS profile of Khushta Hajrul Yahood.
Figure 1 shows the graph profile of the Unani medicine Khushta Hajrul Yahood. The molecules were identified along with the possible pharmaceutical roles of each bio molecule was referred from National Agriculture Library, USA and others as shown in Table 1 .
Figure 1: indicates the GC MS profile of Khushta Hajrul Yahood.
Khushta Hajrul Yahood showed some compounds like, Decane, 1-iodo-, Acetic acid, chloro-, decyl ester, 2-Isopropyl-5-methyl-1-heptanol, Sulfurous acid, butyl undecyl ester, Cyclohexane, 1-ethyl-1,3-dimethyl-, trans-, alpha-Santalol, Dodecanedioic acid, Methyl 2-hydroxy-octadeca-9,12,15-trienoate, Phthalic acid, hexadecyl hex-3-yl ester which have important medicinal roles as shown in Table 1. These medicinal roles could contribute to the urolithiatic effect of Khushta Hajrul Yahood.
It could be summarized from the results and discussion that Khushta Hajrul Yahood does contain important biomolecules which provides a clue to its prescription for the urolithiatic role of this medicine. It will be of interest to probe into the medicinal roles of many compound present in Khushta Hajrul Yahood for which the medicinal roles are not reported yet.
The authors thankfully acknowledge the support of all the people and organizations.
- Makbul SAA, Jahan N, Ahmad G, et al. AN important mineral drug of Unani system of medicine for the management of Urolithiasis. J Ethnopharmacol 2018; 222:165-170.
- Shruthi S, Rajan AK, Sai SC, et al. A Disquisition on Raphanus sativus Linn- A Propitious Medicinal Plant. Int J Chemtech Res 2018; 11:48-55.
- Torres BGC, Arciniega MDLO, Estudillo JG, et al. Raphanus sativus l. varniger as a source of phytochemicals for the prevention of cholesterol gallstones. Phytotherapy Res 2013; 1-5.
- Rao MRK, S Philip, Muttevi Hyagreva Kumar, et al. GC-MS analysis, antimicrobial, antioxidant activity of an Ayurvedic medicine, Salmali Niryasa. J Chem Pharm Res 2015; 7:131-139.
- Sivakumaran G, K Prabhu, Rao MRK, et al. Gas chromatography‚??mass spectrometry analysis of one ayurvedic oil, Anu thailam. DIT 2019; 11:2675-2678.
- Sivakumaran G, K Prabhu, Rao MRK, et al. Gas chromatography‚??mass spectrometry analysis of one ayurvedic oil, Ksheerabala Thailam. DIT 2019; 11: 2661-2665.
- Sivakumaran G, K Prabhu, Rao MRK, et al. Gas chromatography‚??mass spectrometry analysis of one Ayurvedic oil, Triphaladi Thailam. DIT 2019; 11:2679-2683.
- Narayanan G, K Prabhu, Rao MRK, et al. Gas chromatography‚??mass spectrometry analysis of one Ayurvedic medicine, Drakshadi Kashayam. DIT 2019; 11: 2652-2656.
- Narayanan G, K Prabhu, Rao MRK, et al. Gas chromatography‚??mass spectrometry analysis of one ayurvedic medicine, Kutajarishtam. DIT 2019; 11:2666-2669.
- Narayanan G, K Prabhu, Rao MRK, et al. Gas chromatography‚??mass spectrometry analysis of one Ayurvedic antiobesity medicine, Lohasava. DIT 2019; 11:2670-2674.
- Kumar MH, K Prabhu, Rao MRK, et al. Gas chromatography/mass spectrometry analysis of one Ayurvedic skin oil, Eladi Kera Thailam. DIT 2019; 11:2657-2660.
- Mohammad H, K Prabhu, Rao MRK, et al. The GC MS study of one Ayurvedic Pain relieving OIL ‚??Mahamasha thailam‚?Ě. Drug Discov Today 2019; 12:1524-1527.
- Mohammad H, K Prabhu, Rao MRK, et al. The GC MS study of one Ayurvedic Pain relieving oil ‚??Karpooradi thailam‚?Ě, Drug Invention Today, 2019; 12:1542-1546.
- Prabhu j, K Prabhu, Chaudhury A, et al. Neuro protective role of Saraswatharishtam on Scopolamine induced memory impairment in animal model. Pharmacogn J 2020; 12:465-472.
- Prabhu K, Rao MRK, AK Bharath, et al. The GC MS study of one Ayurvedic Rasayana formulation Narasimha Rasayanam. DIT 2020; 13:658-662.
- Prabhu K, Rao MRK, Vishal S K, et al. GC MS study of one Ayurvedic Rasayana drug, Dhanwantari Rasayanam. DIT 2020; 14:783-786.
- Sharmila D, A Poovarasan, E Pradeep, et al. GC MS analysis of one Ayurvedic formulation, Sitopaladi. RJPT 2021; 14:911-915.
- Narayanan G, K Prabhu, Chaudhuri A, et al. Cardio protective role of Partharishtam on isoproterenol induced myocardial infarction in animal model. Pharmacogn J 2021; 13:591-595.
- Kalivannan J, Janaki CS, Rao MRK, et al. The GC MS astudy of one ayurvedic formulation, Chandanasavam. Ind J Nat Sci 2021; 12:33671-33676.
- Akshaya SR, Kalaivani S, Prabhu K, et al. The GC MS study of one Ayurvedic churnam, Avalgujabijadi churnam. Ind J Nat Sci 2021; 12:34395-34402.
- Subbiah AJ, Kavimani M, Rao MRK, et al. The GC MS study of oneAyurvedicformulation,Pushyanuga churnam. Ind J Nat Sci 2021; 12:35757-357-366.
- Yuvaraj R, Vijayakumar S, Rao MRK et al. The GC MS study of one Ayurvedic medicine Pippalyasavam'. Ind J Nat Sci 2021; 12:35612-35618.
- Duke, James A. Dr. Duke's Phytochemcial and Ehnobotanical Databases. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service. Ag Data Commons, U.S, 2021; 1992-2016.
Hassan mohammad M1, Janaki CS2, Rao MRK3*, Prabhu K4, Deepa K5, Franklin6 and Vijayalakshmi N71Department of Anatomy, Northern Borders University, Arar, Saudi Arabia
2Department of Anatomy, Bhaarath Medical College, Chennai, Tamilnadu, India
3Department of Anatomy, Amritha University, Thiruporur, Tamil Nadu, India
4Department of Anatomy, Sree Balaji Medical College and Hospital, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
5Department of Anatomy, Quest International University, IPOH Perak, Malaysia
6Deptartment of Microbiology, CEO Anna Medical College, Mauritius, Montagne Blanche, Island, Mauritania
7Department of Chemical and Biotechnology, SASTRA (Deemed to be University), Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu, India
Citation: Hassan mohammad M, Janaki CS, Rao MRK, Prabhu k, deepa k, Franklin, Vijayalakshmi N,The Gas Chromatography Analysis of One Unani Drug, “Khustha Hajrul Yahood”, J Res Med Dent Sci, 2022, 10 (8): 000-000.
Received: 09-Jun-2022, Manuscript No. JRMDS-22-57361; , Pre QC No. JRMDS-22-57361; Editor assigned: 11-Jun-2022, Pre QC No. JRMDS-22-57361; Reviewed: 25-Jun-2022, QC No. JRMDS-22-57361; Revised: 12-Aug-2022, Manuscript No. JRMDS-22-57361; Published: 24-Aug-2022