Aalia Akhtar Hayat

Department of Pediatrics, Maternity and Children Hospital, Makkah Al Mukarmah, Saudi Arabia


  • Case Report   
    A Child with Dihydrolipoamide Dehydrogenase (DLD) Deficiency with a Rare Variant-A Case Report
    Author(s): Ahmed Bin Gaith Al-Mehmadi, Helal Helal Almalki and Aalia Akhtar Hayat*

    DLD c.685G>T, P. (Gly22gcys) is categorized as pathogenic and has the entrenched role as a disease- causing variant. Diseases caused by DLD variants are inherited in an autosomal recessive fashion. The patient is typically homozygous for the variant. Typically, both parents are carriers of the variant. Each offspring of an affected individual has a 25% probability of being homozygous for the variant, a 50% chance of being an asymptomatic carrier, and a 25% chance of being an unaffected non-carrier. Mutations in DLD are associated with a severe disorder of infancy with failure to thrive, hypotonia, and metabolic acidosis. We presented the case of a 6-year-old child with homozygous splice region missense variant c.685G>T, p. (Gly229Cys) in DLD, her presentation, course of the illness, diagnosis and management in detail. Genetic counseling and family member testing are recommended,.. Read More»

    Abstract HTML PDF